Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Get in "touch"... literally ...

Since I sold my Nokia N900 - the last hope I had for the manufacturer - I have basically given up on researching info or products from that Finnish company, as the world of Nokia is slowly decomposing and the products they seem to be shooting out every month are aimed at people that want to feel like lab-rats, I simply lost all interest.

There used to be a time of great innovation and slick communication, I still remember my first Nokia, the 8110 or as many people liked to fittingly call it, the Banana.
It's the phone Morpheus used to contact Neo in "The Matrix" in this Office just before he was ambushed by Agent Smiths' Crew. It was a cool phone. It worked too, just like the good old Communicator or the 3210, 3310, 3330 and one of my favorites the 6310i.

It was when Nokia said, "I have an Idea, let's try this", that everything started going to shits.

Now back to the topic at hand, Nokia. As I've said 13 lines above, I stopped researching stuff on the Company, however every now and then jobs slide through, for promotions on new Nokia phones or offers, it is here where I have to do a little research to make sure i get the correct logos, in the correct format and texts in their correct fonts. As this requires me to read a few product infos as well, I basically fall into this hole of knowing stuff about nokia and where the company is heading. Microsofts' Windows phone 7 for Nokia, Nokia N8 and other products I have learned about over that same route.

So here I am basically writing stuff about Nokia, because... you've guessed it, I'm working on a promo right now. It includes a Nokia Phone that includes a Tech that made me start this post in the first place.

Near Field Communication... or NFC, is a technology, that allows transactions, transfers and pairing of stuff, by just simply holding 2 devices, for instance 2 phones, a headset, or a wireless bluetooth speaker, to one another, making them... touch.

So for instance you want to pay for your new Shoes you just found at Prada or Nike or wherever you buy your shoes, and you'd like to pay for it, all you gotta do is hold the phone close to a device to do a transaction from your mobile phone, to your favorite retailer. Making it possible for you to NOT bring any cash or credit cards along.

Pairing works exactly the same way. Hold your phone to your Bluetooth headset, and it automatically pairs.

Sending Pictures too. Let's go with a little example here, Gregs ex-girlfriend just got this new 8MP Mobile phone from Nokia that apparently does great pictures. Now Gregs Girlfriend, seems to like to tease Greg so she decides to take pictures in "suggestive Poses" with her new boyfriend and sends them to Greg to upset him.
The reason Vanessa and Greg are no longer a couple? Vanessa decided to cheat on Greg at this "rad" party down in Miami or Abu Dhabi .. or Mumbai, it doesn't really matter.
Now Greg is still upset with her, and thinks to himself "you know what, I don't care for those pictures, but my friends at this bar might like them." So he asks them to activate "NFC" on their mobile devices and just taps them one by one, sending over an archive to each of their devices,without the need to first pair each phone separately in this lengthy process of passcode exchange and so on.

So NFC seems to be useful... It's NOT an invention of Nokia, it's just a technology nokia decided to pickup on to "attract" customers that they previously lost, but until they decide to actually develop a proper OS, use decent hardware in their mobile phones and offer a "Blackberry type" Service where internet, emails, and other services are being bundled in a decently priced package... they won't win me back. in fact, I don't think they'll win anybody back anytime soon.

So we'll see how NFC develops here in the Middle east, as this phone seems to be the first here in the middle east that officially advertises this feature in their add campaign.

Just don't forget your Mobile phone or get it stolen... you won't be able to call your bank to block it as it's ... gone!

Until next time, Game on.

-Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment