Sunday, December 4, 2011

The right way was left behind

I own a radio, a double din Radio from JVC to be a little more precise and I installed it in my 2005 Mercedes SLK four years ago. What i didn't install in my SLK was proper wiring and so after a few years, cables came loose and everything went haywire or without exaggeration, my speakers got confused.

You see, I didn't order one of those fancy connector harnesses that snap right into the original Mercedes radio plug. (unlike what i did for my wife's car a month ago). So I did the good old McGyver, the "I take some spare parts, and make my own little plug." thing.

(sorry for the pictures.. they do suck!)

It ended up looking like this.


It worked, but wasn't great as some pins constantly came loose. So four years later, I finally got myself to do some research on what to get, to make it work.
I searched the net for a proper plug but never found something that appealed to me. Most of them were either too expensive or to complicated to come across so I gave up ... for the meantime...

Until Our office took delivery of a few hundred "Mate 'n' Lock" Plugs.

Mate 'n' Lock plugs are a professional solution for cable connections similar to the ones you have on a Computer Power Supply.
Basically you have a female plug, a male plug and pins which you crimp directly onto the cable ends after that you just slide the pin/cable into the plugs and that's it. No soldering or Screw Terminals, proper secure, plug, click and fast, done!


My first approach four years ago, was meant to keep the original cable intact so that I could re install the old Radio in my car if ever I desired to do so. However after the long time that I've spent with the car, I decided, that this is no longer really required and decided right then and there, I'll just snap them off! But integrated a Mate n lock system on the original wiring, so that IF I had to get them back together ... all I would have to do is just plug it back in and tada! all is safe without any extra work.


Everything snaps right in and I'm so happy, finally the sound is secure and correct, as a little bonus, I got the correct wiring in as well, as the old diagram I used seemed to be for a different system?

Rear left was Front right and  all was messed up! But now, wow... Bass is all Bamm and VROOM... you know what I'm saying!

So let that be a lesson, McGyver never build anything to last forever! So if ever you McGyver around, please make sure to get it fixed before everything goes haywire and maybe your car would short.

Also I got a new Alternator for the car, although when I got the cables out, I checked that the cables didn't do anything to cause my alternator to go "poohf".

so all is good there, still had to pay for the damned alternator as the warrenty of the car expired .. a very ... long time ago!

So please excuse me, I'll go to my car now to hear my car go boom.

Until next time. Game On!

-Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment